Thursday, March 29, 2012

granting permission to create view

What is the best way to grant a user permission to create a view?

I first created a role using enterprise manager but for the role I
created it doesn't seem to offer that permission. It offers the basic
stuff such as insert, select, and update.

I could go in and use a grant create view sql statement I suppose but
I'd rather do it through enterprise manager where it would be visible
if I need to change it in the future.

-Davidwireless (wireless200@.yahoo.com) writes:
> What is the best way to grant a user permission to create a view?
> I first created a role using enterprise manager but for the role I
> created it doesn't seem to offer that permission. It offers the basic
> stuff such as insert, select, and update.
> I could go in and use a grant create view sql statement I suppose but
> I'd rather do it through enterprise manager where it would be visible
> if I need to change it in the future.

Enterprise Manager just reads the information off the database, and if
you say GRANT CREATE VIEW in Query Analyzer it should up in EM. The
permission does not look different because it was created from EM.

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se

Books Online for SQL Server SP3 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techin.../2000/books.asp|||On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:13:30 +0000 (UTC), Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> wireless (wireless200@.yahoo.com) writes:
>> What is the best way to grant a user permission to create a view?
>>
>> I first created a role using enterprise manager but for the role I
>> created it doesn't seem to offer that permission. It offers the basic
>> stuff such as insert, select, and update.
>>
>> I could go in and use a grant create view sql statement I suppose but
>> I'd rather do it through enterprise manager where it would be visible
>> if I need to change it in the future.
> Enterprise Manager just reads the information off the database, and if
> you say GRANT CREATE VIEW in Query Analyzer it should up in EM. The
> permission does not look different because it was created from EM.

It may not be obvious (I had to hunt for it) but the place to grant
statement permissions (to roles, users, or what have you) within Enterprise
Manager, is the Permissions tab of the Properties dialog for the database.|||Ross Presser <rpresser@.imtek.com> wrote in message news:<1xr5t5ei0r7jc.rs9lk0lr4jx1$.dlg@.40tude.net>...

> It may not be obvious (I had to hunt for it) but the place to grant
> statement permissions (to roles, users, or what have you) within Enterprise
> Manager, is the Permissions tab of the Properties dialog for the database.

That's right. I eventually found that. Thanks.

-David

No comments:

Post a Comment